West Palm Beach Slip and Fall Lawyer
If you are a slip and fall accident victim, you may be suffering from extremely serious injuries, including broken bones, head trauma, broken hips, and neck and back problems. It is important for you to seek legal help when seeking compensation and justice for your injuries in Florida.
West Palm Beach slip and fall attorney Brian Schwechter can help if you were injured on someone else’s property due to property negligence, lack of safety measurements, or other reason. Contact the Schwechter Law Group for a free consultation today at (561) 935-9243 for legal guidance.
Establishing Liability in a West Palm Beach Slip and Fall Lawsuit
Property owners have a duty to provide a safe environment for the general public that is free of dangerous conditions. If a West Palm Beach property owner knew or should have known of a dangerous condition and failed to warn the public of that condition, then the owner is responsible for a victim’s injuries. So the major issue is whether the property owner “knew or should have known” of the condition.
In some states, the property owner has to show that they took steps to ensure the property was properly maintained in order to demonstrate that they did not or should not have known, of the hazard. In West Palm Beach, Florida, the plaintiff must show the defendant knew or should have known of the dangerous condition. So in Florida, the burden of proof is on the plaintiff.
Additionally, if a property included temporary hazards, such as an icy walkway or a recently mopped lobby with no caution signs present, the owner can also be deemed liable for causing your slip and fall injuries, provided they had sufficient time to learn of the situation and eliminate the hazard.
Victim Rights After a Slip and Fall Injury in West Palm Beach, FL
While a slip and fall accident may seem like a minor event, the injuries can be major. Broken bones, head trauma, fractured hips, and neck and back problems are common among slip and fall victims.
Ultimately, there are numerous factors to consider when determining who is at fault for your slip and fall injury. This is why it is important to reach out to a trusted legal professional following your accident. So if you are a victim of an accident like this, what can you do to protect your rights?
- Inspect where you fell. What did you fall on? How do you know that? What did it smell like? It is important you can identify what the substance was that you fell on.
- If the substance that caused you to fall ended up on your clothes, don’t wash the clothes and preserve the clothes as evidence.
- How long was that substance on the ground? Were there track or foot marks in the substance (like others had gone through the substance before you did)?
- Report the accident. It is important the property owner is aware of the accident so that they can record that you actually had the accident you say you did. If you left the store without reporting the accident. Go back to the store and let them know about it.
- If you get a call after the slip and fall accident and they want you to give them a recorded statement, refuse to do so. A recorded statement never helps you, only the property owner and you have every right to refuse to make a statement.
- Get the first and last names and phone numbers of any witnesses. An independent witness can make or break a case, so if you have a witness like that, make sure you get enough information so that you can contact in the future.
- If you have to draft a written report for the store, take a picture of the report before you turn it over to the property owner. Almost always, the store will withhold giving you a copy of the report you created.
- If you are in pain, see a medical professional as soon as possible. With a floor on concrete, linoleum or hard tile, you may be in agony. Your pain may not get better with just rest, you might not more help than that to get better. Why wait for relief?
Contact Our West Palm Beach Slip and Fall Attorneys Today
A slip and fall injury can have a devastating impact on your health, quality of life and financial stability. At the Schwechter Law Group, our team of experienced West Palm Beach slip and fall attorneys wants to help you recover your well-being, vitality and financial security. If the property owner or another party is responsible for causing your slip and fall injury, you may be able to recover compensation for any costs you have incurred due to your injury. Damages that may be recoverable include past medical bills, anticipated medical costs for continuing treatment, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Don’t delay in seeking help from a qualified slip and fall attorney. At the Schwechter Law Group, our skilled lawyers will fight for your rights by establishing the property owner’s liability and helping you collect the maximum amount of compensation allowed by law. Contact our West Palm Beach slip and fall attorneys today to discuss the details of your claim.